Monday 11 April 2011

Religion!

Ignorance is bliss
  These days it seems that the majority of people my age think that religion is a bad thing, something to be mocked. Many people who I talk to with cast judgment on the religious; immediately assuming them to be unintelligent. Maybe they are right; many religions can seem pretty far fetched, but people have dumb beliefs all the time, it's just a matter of the environment in which you grow up. I don't care what some people say about religions, if they were to have had parents with slightly different belief systems, their opinions would probably be completely different.
  I am an atheist, and because of this when I question people's religions I'm very aware of the fact that I come across to be questioning their intelligence or trying to change their beliefs, but this is not the case. I'm a guy who is really interested in not only different religions, but why (and sometimes how) people believe them. While I do not see myself accepting any religion as my own in the near future, I do think it could one day happen... That said, I will never reject evolution; evolution can be predicted to occur simply by common sense. Not believing evolution takes place (from complex systems into slightly different complex systems at least, not so much from simple to complex) can make me question somebody's understanding of it at least.
  Some people do not welcome my questions, even if they are simply what the person believes. Most of the time this is probably because of the person's fear of being ridiculed, but on occasion it is because they themselves do not want to think about their belief, just to blindly follow it. These people really do annoy me; if you really have faith in your religion you should be prepared to have it questioned, and believe it can withstand consideration.
  Personally, I would like to have a religion. I think that the lives of people who are religious must be so much more fulfilled; they have a greater feeling of purpose.... But alas I fear I may never have one. Either way though, I believe that religion is a good thing for mankind. Some people argue that without religion then wars wouldn't have happened and terrorism wouldn't take place on such a large scale. But it is my belief that the people who commit these acts would do so without religion as a ploy; they would always find a reason. Also, religion causes an immeasurable amount of good deeds to take place.
  Many atheists, like me, believe that happiness is the purpose to life, and if religion makes people happy, then are they not just living out their purpose?

  My apologies for the fact that this post hasn't flowed very well, I just had a lot to say and didn't want to ramble too much... I leave you with another song, just because I love it... 

16 comments:

  1. I really like your background. What is it called?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's flashworks, under abstract

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, keep posting dude

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was raised an atheiest by my parents, who always said 'relegion the biggest cause of pain and suffering in this world', but then as you said I may well have had a different point of view had I been raised differently.

    Good read, man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a good read! I'm not atheist, or religious, or "spiritual". It's all irrelevant. Religions are more like happy-feel-good support groups, if anything. I was raised Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good read, mostly agreed with ya. Over all, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an atheist myself. Science has proved too much and brought our civilization too far. Two hands working will accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't cast out any religion without a reason. In fact, I think religious is a good thing and gives people faith, even though I'm agnostic. Good read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think religion is for people who is waiting for a miracle to happen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Religion is bad, it rules over people. Faith is good, it gives hope and purpose of life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. religion is spirituality gone wrong

    ReplyDelete
  12. at least you are open-minded about it. that to me is more important than one's religion or lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, religion. Don't get me started on that one.

    ReplyDelete